Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Greenfield Village, Dearborn Michigan

Detroit. Greenfield Village. The last stop on my summer road-trip.


On my way back to northern Michigan, I stopped to visit a few friends in Detroit. This city is slowly becoming one of my favorite places to explore. There are so many beautiful things about this city that you may not realize, even if you are living there. 

After eating dinner with Ray and his friend Kristine, I made a request to see one of my favorite buildings in Detroit, the iconic train station. One person can never have too many photos of it. Here is the train station at sunset. 






The photos below are from Greenfield Village in Dearborn. I had never been to the village before, so it was quite the exciting experience. I love history and everything to do with it so this was a lot of fun to see. 
Henry Ford collected many historic artifacts during his life, and was fascinated with how things work. He wanted to have a place that was like when he grew up, so he collected houses, workshops, and other historic items to put up in his "village" for everyone to walk around and enjoy. Many of these buildings are the originals and were moved to Dearborn very carefully. 
Here are photos from Ray's and my day at Greenfield Village.


Living quarters for people in the late 1800's


Henry Ford's first automobile. 

 Henry Ford's house growing up on the right (white house) and a farm. 
 Calumet and Hecla mining company's train. (where I grew up)

 There were a few Model T's driving around:) 

The Wright Brother's family home! 

Inside Thomas Edison's laboratory 

 The chair Edison sat in while visiting Greenfield Village. The chair was not moved and nailed down, exactly how he left it. 
Living quarters

 Ducks that did not like me in their zone. 

 Covered Bridge:) 

 Cotswold Cottage from England built in 1620s. 

Looking out the window of the Cotswold Cottage.

Blacksmith's shop. 

 A slave's living area. Notice the children's bed in the kitchen/livingroom/dinning room. The bed slept two of the slave families children. 
               Me in an old school house.

Ray in the old school house. 

I had the opportunity to print from a printing press! 

No comments:

Post a Comment