Saturday, December 24, 2011

Niagara Falls

This Christmas, my parents and I decided take a road trip to visit one of my best friends in New Hampshire. From my parents house to hers it is 1200+ miles.

The route we took was from Michigan to Canada to New York to Vermont to New Hampshire. Our first stop was Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada.

Niagara Falls is a collection of three falls. The Canadian Horseshoe falls, which make a horseshoe shape, the American Falls, and the small Bridal Veil Falls located next to the American Falls. I have not seen these falls since I was young. I do not remember much from that trip except being scared because we stayed in a very high hotel and we took a walking tour in a tunnel that went behind the falls. At that time, I did not appreciate what an incredible view the falls were.


When we arrived in Niagara Falls, Canada it was around 8pm. We ate dinner and took a walk to the falls. It was an amazing view. The rush of the water and lights changing color took my breath away. It is defiantly worth it to see the falls at night. 



Horseshoe Falls - Canada

American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls - New York

Horseshoe Falls

Horseshoe Falls

 A few facts about the falls:

The falls do not freeze over or never stop flowing. However, on March 29, 1848 the water going over the falls dwindled down to a trickle for a few hours due to a jam upstream. 
A photo from the mid 1800s showing people walking across the river, when the falls slowed down due to a jam upstream. http://www.fallsniagara.info/

The first daredevil to go over the Niagara falls in a barrel was a 63 year old school teacher from Michigan in 1901. So far there have been 15 attempts going over the Horseshoe Falls since she went over. 

While visiting the falls in 1994, my brothers and I had our picture taken going over the falls in a barrel. 

-    

A video of the three falls during the day


Clifton Hill ferris wheel and fudge shop. 


The lights that shine on the three falls. 

Giant Ferris Wheel on Clifton Hill. 



No comments:

Post a Comment